Thursday, May 17, 2018

Will the new Star Wars story make the grade?

Solo: A Star Wars Story is due out in about a week's time. You know me, Star Wars tragic. Sort of. I'm not always starry-eyed about what Disney has produced. (The Force Awakens, anybody?) Yes, I'll certainly watch it, but not at the movies. I'm not that excited. And yes, I have some reservations.

I really liked Rogue One and I think part of that was because it added to the original Star Wars story, and pretty well all of the characters were new. I didn't have to make allowances for different people playing characters we already loved. That's going to be the main challenge for Solo. Harrison Ford did such a great job with the role. Think 'Han' and you see Harrison. The new young actor Alden Ehrenreich has big shoes to fill. We also have had enough hints in the other Star Wars movies to sketch in questions. How did Han meet Chewie? How did he acquire the Millenium Falcon from Lando Calrissian? How come he wears military-style pants?

Naturally, at this stage reviewers have already seen the film. I read one (here's the link) by a person who wasn't impressed. He said the story adds to the canon, but doesn't expand it. And I had to wonder what he expected? Especially for this first movie. I've read the Han Solo trilogy written by Brian Daley, in which Han and Chewie have some brand new adventures which have nothing to do with the original movies. No Leia, no Darth etc. They were fun. But this new movie is all about filling in Han's backstory. Another movie could expand into the Star Wars galaxy talking about the Kessel Run or some such. The reviewer made reference to the end of The Last Jedi, where there are hints at something further, but I do not see how that can be done in a movie about Han Solo, talking about events that took place before A New Hope.

So I think when I see the film, I'll be getting what I expect. Ron Howard is an accomplished director.  He did a great job with Apollo 13 and that great movie, Cocoon. I read an article in the Weekend Australian where he talked about taking over the direction of Solo halfway through. He seems to be well pleased with Ehrenreich's Han. I hope I will be, too. Either way, it'll be fast-paced fun.

And in case you haven't seen it, here's the trailer.



Just a reminder - Pippa, Laurie and I will be donating a portion of our earnings from books sold as part of the push to promote research to find a cure for ALS. Here's the link again. We'd love it if you buy a book.

  
http://www.leakirk.com/supporting-als.html


5 comments:

  1. I think I'm very much where you are, Greta. I just don't have the excitement for this one that I've had for the last three premiers. I haven't even bought tickets yet!

    I agree the movie looks fun, but Star Wars holds such a high standard, I'm concerned this one may leave me a tad disappointed. Han is Harrison. Always has been, always will be. And though I think this actor did a fantastic job from what I've seen in the clips, he's still not THE Han. The one we've known and loved for over 40 years.

    I'm going to keep an open mind and try to see it without too many expectations. I'm easier to please than many, so hopefully I'll find Solo a great viewing experience. I'll let you know. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't be just us, Laurie. But we've been there from the start. Maybe it'll be different for new fans. Well see.

      Delete
  2. I think, from the trailer, I'd be way more excited if it WASN'T Han Solo, like I was about Rogue One. I'd love more SW related stories, even though I do prefer the Jedi focussed ones, but I've never really liked him as a character so I have mixed feelings about going to see it - but will be going to see it because if nothing else my SW obsessed offspring would be unimpressed if we didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying. I'd love a Thrawn story, for instance. I'll watch Solo because it's Star Wars but yeah..

      Delete
    2. There are so many ways they could go. I'd love a story about Wedge Antilles. (And wasn't his father a rebel officer, too?) Or how about just a backstory about how the Old Guard was replaced by the Empire introducing some new characters like they did in Rogue One. There's a pretty big gap in time between #3 and #4. Actually, Lost Stars (the novel) could be a pretty interesting story if they beefed up the character conflict. (The hero and heroine end up on opposite sides--Empire and Rebellion.)

      Delete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)